Thursday, July 17, 2008

Little things

Yesterday, the girls went to Minnetonka Cave where their Uncle Devin works. I wasn't there. Their grandmas have been taking turns with the girls for the last couple of weeks. I miss them, so I called them this morning. Here are their observations from the trip:

Eva: "I found a big butterfly, and it was alive. And Isobel found a little butterfly, and it wasn't alive. And we picked them up."
"You picked up a live butterfly?"
"Yeah, and Isobel did, too."

Isobel: "We went into three rooms in the cave and then we came out. And then we got some Snickers bars. And I got to drink banana milk. And Eva got orange creme."

Neither of them mentioned this:












It was the same at the Redwoods. On the trails lined with 350-foot, 500-year-old trees, Isobel's favorite things there were the shamrocks. Eva preferred the slugs and the centipedes.

2 comments:

Bettie said...

Seriously, I can't believe the things these girls remember about their trips. I love that they help me to notice those little things along the way, though.

Steve said...

I think our perspectives on things we remember and notice are directly proportional to our individual knowledge. In the caverns they see wierd shaped rocks, we see the wonderous formations caused by water, minerals, and time. They see the simple familiar things that as adults we often overlook in our quest to get the bigger picture, when all along its the little things that make up the bigger picture. I think its wonderful how a childs outlook can help keep you grounded.