Saturday, February 4, 2023

Floating the Green

This trip happened ages ago, but Devin posted some cool pics of it a month and a half ago, so I thought I better "hurry" and tell the story.

So I wrote in 2010 about a trip in June 2008 with Devin and Billie. And just now I noticed this draft... 

Here's what I remember about it now: 

The first night before we put in, at our spot near the confluence of the San Rafael and Green rivers, Billie and I laid on top of the car and looked at the stars. You could reach out and swirl them around with your fingertips, they were so close. There were shooting stars, big questions, long silences. Still one of my favorite memories of being a dad. 

The first night around the campfire, there were bats flying around and we were looking up at the stars and the bats and swatting away mosquitos and I said something like, "C'm'ere bat, there's plenty of food here," and one immediately swooped down and took a pass within 3 inches of my face.

Cicadas louder than I've ever heard. Gorgeous music all day and into the night. 

Pulling the canoes over to hike to a saddle between two bends in the river, and having to wade through a couple of yards of deep, thick mud. Billie watched me and Devin flail through and was a little hesitant, and I said, go fast you'll be ok, and he did just as he was told and the mud sucked his little sandal right off, buried it 3 inches deep and ... I guess we somehow got it out. 

Good times. The best times.




No comments: