Sunday, January 20, 2008

Giardia

Here's a PS about that hike with my Grandpa Joe.

I remembered it wrong. We didn't even bring any water. That drink from the spring was my first of the hike, too, but I was dying for it. He was just taking his medicine.

On the question of whether to ever drink untamed (wild, unfiltered) water, here's my opinion. I try to always purify water in the woods. Unless I can see it bursting right out from under its first rock. Or unless I miscalculated how much water I'd need, didn't bring a purifier and there is a small, cold, bubbling stream staring me down.

I never stay thirsty in the presence of a clear, cold stream. I'd drink from a lake if I were hallucinating or something. But to drink from a big houseboat-covered reservoir, I'd have to be staring into the gates of hell and feel sure that that was my fate if I didn't take a swig.

The first time I get giardia, the clear-stream/spring policy may change.

4 comments:

Bettie said...

I never thought I'd read a blog entitled "giardia" - that's kinda icky. I think our friend in Logan got giardia on her first date with a guy because he swore it was clean. I don't mind if you get it - but don't drag me into that kind of crap ;)
Love you - kiss.

Share :) said...

Maybe you should ask Bettie to tell you about when Lantz was almost diagnosed with giardia in the MTC. Heh.

Unknown said...

Purify, purify, purify.

Bryce Jr said...

Preach, preach, preach.

Just kidding. Hey, what does it take to get comments approved for your backpacker blog? In an attempt to appease the censors, I left the phrase "dirty hippy" out of the response to the Kings Peak post.