Monday, December 17, 2007

Nobody SHOUTS ... Moab part III

On the third day of Moab, Eva sang to me ...

That night, Bettie and Grandma Polly joined us and we stayed at my cousin Cody's house. Isobel wasn't too thrilled with sleeping in a bed that night, but Eva liked it.

My brother, Vince, and my happy daughter.







Cody shared some great local wisdom, sending us first to Funnel (aka Cable) Arch, in the Kane Creek area.
There's no marked trailhead or trail to this and I haven't found it on any maps, but it was a pretty short hike to a huge arch. Sweet.

On the way down, Eva burst into song again. "Nobody SHOUTS ... not in my closkle on a cloud." Once again, she repeated it for the rest of the day. Eventually Isobel taught her the line between and it became "Nobody SHOUTS or talks too loud. (now very quiet and sad) not in my closkle on a cloud." And that was it. I bet she sang it at least once every five minutes for the rest of the day. At least 200 times in total. And I loved it every single time.

Isobel shouts in the desert.









Then we drove on, stopping for lunch.

This is Isobel "eating lunch."

















... and a potty break.

Here's how Eva spends her time between long drives.









And here's Isobel. They're not different at all.














We headed toward Long Canyon, Cody's next suggestion, via the Shaffer Trail.

This is the best-known section of the Shaffer Trail, a rough road in Canyonlands National Park that climbs to the Island in the Sky.

We made it to Long Canyon. There's a spot near the top where the road crosses a spine at a group of impromptu picnic areas. If you stop there and just walk out along the spine, it narrows until you end up way above a huge canyon.

We thought this was cool. Great, long echoes, with a loud one that comes after several soft ones.
















Luckily we kept going, though, and the ridge kept narrowing as another canyon came in.


Then it got really good. It echoed up both canyons, with dozens of voices coming back at you from both sides at varying volumes.

And when you've had enough of that, you can always take a bath in the tub right at the end.
















Up next: Part IV: Out one day with you Hollylujah.

2 comments:

Share :) said...

I love that Isobel was shouting on the sound clip about nobody shouting. And Eva just painfully sings her solemn song.
I will happily take credit for her knowing that song. :)

Bryce Jr said...

My interpretation of Isobel's line: You can never shout too loud in a desert on a cloud.

I think this clip, with Eva and Isobel harmonizing so beautifully, might be my favorite one ever. Thanks for the song, Share.